Liverpool FA has an outstanding reputation in producing and developing match officials at all levels - from Mini Soccer to Small Sided Games, to Youth and Adult Football. Some of our officials operate nationally in the Premier League and Football League - and some are stalwarts and heroes out on local parks and playing fields. You can begin this journey from the age of 14 – and for many it extends their participation and enjoyment of the game we all love.
Whatever your motivation for considering "taking up the whistle" and helping us to improve the standards and enjoyment of grassroots football - we thank you - and ask you to book onto one of our forthcoming Basic Referee Courses. Anyone over the age of 14 can become a referee. All that is required is a passion for the game and the successful completion of a training course.
Minimum Age: 14years
21hrs – including 3hr Safeguarding Children Workshop (ages 16yrs+) and Call Back Evening
Liverpool FA deliver courses over a weekend, Saturday and Sunday, 9am – 4pm on both days at Liverpool FA, Walton Hall Park.
Call Back Evening:
As part of the Course you are also required to attend Call Back Evening which takes place several weeks after the initial start of the course, this is to provide you with additional support and answer any questions you may have. The Call Back Evening is a MANDATORY element of the Basic Referees Course and all candidates MUST attend, failure to do so will result in not passing the course.
Course aims and objectives:
The Basic Referees Course provides participants with an insight to the laws of the game and their practical application on the field of play. It also looks at the skills required to be a referee. Liverpool FA deliver courses over a weekend, Saturday and Sunday, 9am – 4pm on both days at Liverpool FA, Walton Hall Park.
• Candidate aged 17yrs and over MUST attend a separate 3hr Safeguarding Children Workshop at the LCFA. The cost of this workshop is included in the referee course fee.
• Candidates aged 14-16yrs MUST complete an Online Safeguarding Children Questionnaire. This will be sent via email to the applicant, once complete you MUST email the questionnaire to the relevant company and pay the fee of £6.95 for the procedure to be processed.
• Candidates aged 16yrs and over MUST complete a Criminal Records Check. A CRC link will be sent candidates via e-mail, please follow the guidance notes and on completion please submit to The Media Group (instructions will be provided in the e-mail). Once processed The Media Group will require a £10 fee which must be paid by the candidate requesting the CRC. The application will ask you to submit 3 forms on identification, this identification MUST then be verified by an Liverpool FA Verifier – when you are at this stage please contact Liverpool FA to arrange a CRC Verification Meeting. Following you verification, The Media Group will produce a certificate confirming you have successfully completed the CRC procedure.
Course Content – Theory & Practical
The course consists of 5 clear modules with the following elements
Modules 1-4 - Theory/Practical Delivery:
• The Key skills required to be a football referee
• Theoretical information of the 17 laws of the game
• Practical work covering implementation of the laws
• The art of Positioning and movement
• Management strategies and ideas on effective decision-making
• Officiating 6 games of football
• Effective reporting misconduct
• Assessment Of Knowledge
Module 5 - Assessment of Experiences:
• Reviewing and receiving Feedback
• Managing expectations
PLEASE NOTE: The dates indicated on the course booking cover only the first 3 Modules of learning. Module 4 requires the candidate to track the practical implementation of their lessons in a match environment, and Module 5, the Final Assessment, can only be completed once that has been evidenced.
Assessment is via successful completing the Assessment of Knowledge (theory & practical) in module 4.
Only after successfully completing all elements the Basic Referee Course detailed above, will you become be appointed to local Leagues to officiate football matches. On passing the course you will become a Level 9 Referee, when you referee 6x 11v11 games or 6x 9v9 games and complete and return the Referee Retention Form (given to you on the course) to Liverpool FA, will you obtain your fully qualified status.
What will you receive on a Basic Referees Course:
• Pre-course study pack
• Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check (CRC)
• Safeguarding Children Training
• Attendance to on the basic training course
• Completion of 6 11 a-side matches
• Attendance at a follow-up training evening
To enroll on a Basic Referees Course please click here
For more information on our Courses please contact LCFA Referees Department on 0151 523 4488