Liverpool FA Referee Academy
Further your refereeing career with Liverpool FA.
The Liverpool County FA Referees’ Academy Development Group was launched in September 2000 to ensure that new and young referees in the county are provided with guidance and support to further their refereeing careers and set the foundations for anybody wanting to progress in their refereeing and who are keen to progress to the next level of referee.
The group were initially split evenly between the academies based at Everton and Liverpool in Halewood and Kirkby, and the County FA work in conjunction with both of our Premier League clubs, offering in-service training with theory and fitness/practical sessions.
Quality referees, coaches, mentors, assessors and FA Instructors from all over the County FA and surrounding areas provide relevant and up-to-date training for the group.
Both Academy locations have a County FA-appointed director.
Gordon Johnson - Gordon.Johnson@LiverpoolFA.com
Paul Healey - RefhealPaul@Yahoo.co.uk
The success of the scheme is already bearing fruits for The FA and Liverpool County FA with current evidence of academy graduates operating at the higher echelons of football being:-
• Peter Bankes - promoted to Football League referee in 2014
• Jake Collin and Ian Hussin - on the Premier League Assistant Referees Panel
• Matt Parry, Matthew Corlett and Helen Byrne (our first Level 3 female referee from the county) - on the National List of Assistant Referees (Football League)
• Aaron Jackson and Benjamin Speedie - operating on the Contributory Leagues System at Level 3.
Behind all of the above are an eager group of Level 4, Level 5, Level 6 and Level 7 officials still operating within the academy structure, all keen to learn and progress to the National Leagues system.
The aim of the Liverpool County FA Referee Academy is to assist in the development, training and coaching of referees who have the potential to progress to senior referee status. It is designed to deliver specific and relevant training to young, ambitious, dedicated and talented referees.
Consequently since 2000 as the number of young referees in the county has grown so has the academy programme, with academy development hubs also based at:
• Mossley Hill Sports & Social Club under the direction of Andy Pownall
• Warrington Referees Association under the direction of Roy Naylor and also with:
• two feeder leagues at the Craven Minor League (Southport) under the direction of Chris Baumber
• Helens & Rainhill District Junior League under the direction of John Doyle.
Each of these four structures monitoring young referees and feeding them into the two academies based at our two Premier League football clubs.