Football on the corner.

Marine Beat Lower Breck On Penalties In Sunday Boys' U16 Cup Final

by Bronnie Jones

Marine FC won the Liverpool County FA Sunday Boys’ Under-16 Cup on penalties after a tight match against Lower Breck.

After 80 minutes neither team had managed to score a winning goal and the full-time score ended 0-0. Marine then went on to win the penalty shoot out 4-3 and a stellar performance from their goalkeeper was the highlight of the evening.

It was clear after just five minutes that the crowd were going to enjoy a great game as both teams started off strong and put early crosses into both boxes.

Lower Breck had a chance to take an early lead after eight minutes. A cross came into the penalty box and the ball fell to Number Twelve. He had time to turn and take a shot on goal, but the effort went straight at the goalkeeper.

After 20 minutes Breck had another chance to go ahead when Number Nineteen had the ball in the box, but a Marine defender got his foot to it before Number Nineteen could take a shot. However, his clearance only landed at Number Nineteen again who turned, but his shot was saved by the ‘keeper.

By the time the half time whistle blew, it was Marine’s goalkeeper who was keeping them in the game.

They did, however, start to enjoy some more possession in the second half. 

Five minutes from time they could have stolen a late winner. A loose ball fell to Number Sixteen, who made a great run into the Breck box. But his shot was saved by the stopper. 

Shortly after, the referee blew for the final whistle and the shootout commenced. 

Breck were up first. Number Fifteen lined up the ball and took his shot, but Marine’s goalkeeper made a great start and made a save.

Marine’s Number Eleven was next and he made sure to place the ball in the back of the net.

Breck’s Number Twenty-One was the third player to take a shot and he scored their first successful penalty. Marine’s Number Six was fourth but the Breck ‘keeper made the second save of the shootout. It was now 1-1.

Number Two then scored to make it 2-1 to Lower Breck. But Marine’s Number Sixteen equalised to make it 2-2.

Number Eight was up next for Breck. The goalkeeper then made another fantastic and crucial save and a successful penalty from Number Fourteen made it 3-2 to Marine.

Breck’s Number Twenty-Two had to score to keep them in with a chance of winning. He did.

Next, the Marine goalkeeper stepped up to take the final penalty. If he scored they were cup winners. He smashed his penalty into the goal and cemented his place as the hero of the match.