Liverpool County FA would like to remind all clubs and leagues of The FA's guidance with regards to football-related activity for children and young people.
Safeguarding best practice dictates adults (over 18s) must always be present when football-related activity takes places for children and young people.
However, whatever the age of the children and type of activity (training and/or matches), a minimum of TWO FA- DBS checked coaches/adults must always be present.
This ensures at least basic cover in the event of an incident.
Football teams involving players aged 12+ often have a squad of 16 players. Therefore there must be a ratio of at least one FA-DBS checked coach per squad and another FA-DBS checked coach/adult present at all times.
See NSPCC’s recommendation of 1:10 below.
- For 0 to 2 years – one adult to every 3 children (1:3)
- For 2 to 3 years – one adult to every 4 children (1:4)
- For 4 to 8 years – one adult to every 6 children (1:6)
- For 9 to 12 years - one adult to every 8 children (1:8)
- For 13 to 18 years – one adult to every 10 children (1:10)
For further FA guidance on Ratios please click here