FA Refereeing Progression Pathway
Do you want to progress through the refereeing pyramid?
The newly modernised FA Referee Progression Pathway is an exciting way to progress within the grassroots game (Levels 5 - 7 & Youth Referees).
The priorities of this change will focus on:
• Giving referees greater control over their own progression.
• Providing a route for expedited progression for those able to provide more commitment.
• Instilling a developmental philosophy into grassroots refereeing.
• Motivating and incentivising refereeing through structural change.
• Re-energising and diversifying the referee development workforce across the grassroots game.
• Removing some of the key barriers to progress.
Promotions up to Level 5 to be processed on a quarterly basis (31 October, 31 December, 28 February, 30 April) once an individual has met all the minimum requirements for progression.
The new methodology will replace the annual promotion process based on formal assessments, with progression based on:
• Number of appointments
• Completion of free online referee development modules
• Support and advice from Match Day Coaches, not Observers (formerly Assessors)
• Successful completion of a Laws of the Game exam
• Attendance at face-to-face mandatory training (Level 6-5 only)
Please click here to download a document giving a full overview of the newly updated FA Progression Pathway.
Furthermore, please find detailed below specific information for each of the promotion levels providing exact information on what is required:
Youth Referees – Y1 & Y2 (PDF)
Level 7-6 (PDF)
Level 6-5 (PDF)
Level 5-4 (PDF)
4W – 3W (Female Referee Pathway) (PDF)
Application for Promotion
You can apply for promotion by clicking the button below and clicking the Referee Promotion Form.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR PROMOTION
We are currently in the process of arranging fitness sessions and a 5-4 fitness test. This will be confirmed in due course.
We look forward to helping all promotion candidates through this process.