Sunday Intermediate Cup 2018

Huyton Athletic Crowned Sunday Intermediate Cup Winners

by Bronnie Jones

Huyton Athletic won the Liverpool County FA Sunday Intermediate Cup Final in dramatic fashion against West Derby Oaklands on Thursday 19 April.

West Derby looked as if they’d won the trophy as they were ahead 3-2 in the last five minutes, but just seconds from the final whistle Huyton’s Graham Creevy equalised. They then went on to win the penalty shootout 7-6.

The game started off energetically as both teams tested the opposition goalkeepers within the first 10 minutes.

Huyton opened the scoring after 12 minutes. They were awarded a corner on the right-hand side and the cross was headed into the net by Mike O’Brien to make it 1-0. The goal came from nothing and instantly gave confidence to the team.

They then saw the rest of the half off well; keeping strong defensively and maintaining the 1-0 score-line.

Just 30 seconds into the second half, Huyton doubled their lead. Number 96 made a shotgun start with an attempt straight at goal that the goalkeeper had no chance of saving.

Huyton were on a high, but it lasted for just two minutes. West Derby started their comeback after a corner from the right was headed into goal by Si Baker.

Just after the hour mark, Tony Hopley equalised for West Derby after another corner on the right-hand side. His team were now looking the more confident and Huyton had been well and truly shaken.

A minute later West Derby took the lead. Matty Read made a fantastic run from the halfway line and Mark Johnson tapped the ball into the back of the net to make it 3-2.

It looked like West Derby had pulled off a miracle win.

But Creevy then ruined their chances after he took a shot 25 yards from goal that landed straight in the top-right corner of the net.

The penalty shootout then commenced.

Both teams had successfully scored their first five attempts, so it went to sudden death. Read stepped up to take West Derby’s seventh penalty, but the goalkeeper made a crucial save. Huyton’s Number 18 then scored the winning point to seal a dramatic comeback and lift the cup.

Related News

View All