Quarry Bank Overcome Pilchy in Saturday Junior Cup Final

by Bronnie Jones

Quarry Bank Old Boys were crowned Liverpool County FA Saturday Junior Cup winners after beating FC Pilchy 2-1.

It was a tight game that could have gone either way. But, two goals from Josh Williams gifted Quarry Bank the trophy. Jake Cairns scored Pilchy’s only goal of the match.

After the game Quarry manager, Marcus Cors, said: “I think we played brilliant, at times we played our luck a little, but sometimes you need that to win a final.”

Quarry started off the game well and looked to try their best to take an early lead. After 10 minutes Liam Bird made a great turn in the box only for his attempt on goal to go wide.

20 minutes in and the score-line was still 0-0. Pilchy were defending superbly and continued to press Quarry whenever they were in possession. 

Pilchy’s most dangerous attempt on goal came a few minutes later. They were awarded a free kick that was taken by Cairns. His cross was headed toward goal and Quarry goalkeeper, John Kennedy, made a great save with his fingertips.

Eventually, just one minute before half time, Quarry broke the deadlock. One of their players had been fouled in the penalty box and the referee awarded them a spot kick. Williams lined up to take it and he didn’t disappoint. The ball was smashed into the back of the net and they were 1-0 ahead.

After the whistle blew for the start of the second half, Pilchy looked on a mission to turn things around. They were attacking goal and regaining possession more now.

After pressing towards goal for around 20 minutes they were awarded a penalty due to a handball in the box from one of the Quarry players. Cairns was called upon to take it, and he levelled the score line to 1-1.

The game continued to stay tight with some great challenges on display.

Quarry’s second goal came in the 75th minute as a rare mistake from the Pilchy defence gifted the ball to Williams. He was clear on goal and slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net. 

15 minutes later, the final whistle blew to signal Quarry as the cup winners.

Related News

View All