2018 Veterans Cup Final

Britannia Vets Regain Veterans Cup

by Bronnie Jones

The Britannia Vets regained the Liverpool County Football Association Veterans Cup after an emphatic 4-1 victory over last years champions, St Ally’s 40’s.

A fantastic performance from Britannia forward John Miles, who also provided two goals, sealed off an impressive season for the club. Billy Kenny also scored a penalty for the away team.

After the match Brit’s captain, Mark Philips, said: “It was a good hard-fought victory! They’re always a good side the Ally’s. We’ve come across them a few times in the past and we knew it would be a tough game. The win feels good!”

However, it was a night to forget for the Ally’s who had goalkeeper, David Poole, sent off in the 75th minute after a second bookable offence. 

Victor Martin provided their consolation goal.

The game started off tight with the Brits enjoying most of the possession, after 25 minutes they broke the deadlock after a good counter attack.

Miles was in a two on one situation and easily slotted the first goal of the game past Poole.

Poole received his first yellow card shortly after on 36 minutes after fouling Miles who was clear on goal. The Ally’s then made sure to keep their defence strong and see off the half only one-nil down.

The start of the second half also saw the rain begin to pour.

Miles then picked off where he left off and in the opening minutes he had a cracking strike from 25 yards out go straight into the back of the net.

The Ally’s goal came in the 63rd minute after a brief spell of pressure in the box from the home team. Martin nodded in a cross past Brit’s keeper Tommy White.

There was a great response from the leaders though as just one minute after they had won a corner and a header went in. It was now 3-1 to Britannia.

It went from bad to worse for the Ally’s 10 minutes later as their goalkeeper was sent off and player/manager Gary Birchall stepped up to the plate and took over in goal.

He couldn’t prevent Kenny’s penalty going into the right-hand corner though.

The game then came quickly to an end and the Britannia celebrations could begin!

Related News

View All